Welcome to the Grade 5 page
Below you can find out a little more about school life and what we get up to in Grade 5
- Quote accurately from a text.
- Summarize text
- Compare and contrast characters.
- Determine the meaning of words.
- Describe the narrator’s point of view.
- Write opinion pieces on topics.
- Introduce characters in writing.
- Use variety transitional words.
- Use concluding statements.
- Us technology to produce and publish.
Speaking and Listening
- Engage in class discussion.
- Respond to specific questions.
- Use logical sequencing of ideas when speaking.
- Summarize a text aloud.
- Use multimedia to present ideas
- Read aloud to peers
- Use conjunctions, prepositions, and interjections.
- Use form and perfect verb tenses to convey various times, sequences, states, and conditions.
- Identify shifts in a verb tense.
- Use correlative conjunctions.
- Set off the words yes and no, tag questions, and indicate direct address using commas.
- Learn about the history of Feudal Japan and how the history of a place affects the behavior of its people.
- Develop an awareness of a place and understand how the characteristics of a place affect what happens.
- Explain why Japan is threatened by several geological and meteorological forces.
The Age of Exploration
- Learn European Exploration, including profit from the trade of goods and the desire to spread Christianity.
- Study specific explorers (Bartolommeo Dias, Vasco de Gama, Pedro Cabral, Columbus, Magellan, and Vasco de Balboa).
- Describe the geographical location of the places reached by the explorers.
- Make a timeline of the voyage of the explorer with its purpose.
- Introduce the early slave trade and the beginning of slavery in the Americas.•Map skills: Locate the area affected by the slave trade and the major areas of exportation from region to region.
- Learn the history of the three kingdoms; Goguryeo, Baekje, and Silla.
- Explain the reasons why Korea was divided into two parts; North and South Korea.
- Describe the religions and beliefs of the Koreans.
- Identify and describe places in Korea using world map and globe to locate historical landmarks.
- Study the relation of art in Korean religions.
- Travel with manipulative skills (soccer, Jockey, Basketball)
- Run a distance using a mature pattern
- Use correct pacing for running
- Can balance and transfer weight in gymnastics sequence
- Combine hand and foot dribbling
- Volley ball, two hand overhead pattern
- Dribble with change in direction and speed
- Combine spatial concepts with loco motor and non-locomotor
Drawing and Painting
- Experiment with the marks, lines, shapes textures, patterns and tones that can be made with different drawing instruments on a range of surfaces, demonstrating increasing sensitivity and control.
- Explore color with a variety of color drawing instruments, media and techniques.
- Discover harmony and contrast in natural and manufactured objects and through themes chosen for their color possibilities.
- Express his/her imaginative life and interpret imaginative themes using color expressively
Arts and Crafts
- Recycle things to create their own crafts
- Understand how the different organs of the Circulatory and Nervous Systems work together to perform their functions necessary for survival.
- Explain the interactions among biotic and abiotic factors and how energy flows in an ecosystem.
- Conduct different kinds of investigations including systematic observations, models and controlled experiments.
- Investigate through valid experimental techniques; manipulate tools and equipment accurately.
Earth and Space Science
- Understand natural processes like erosion, rock cycle and fossil formation and explain how they shape the Earth’s Surface over time.
Find the number system
- Use different methods in dividing whole numbers.
- Understanding addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division decimals.
- Compare and order decimals using place values.
Operations with fractions
- Add and subtract fractions with unlike denominators.
- Multiply and divide fractions
- Convert fractions into decimals.
- Patterns with fractions.
Patterns and graphing.
- Line plots, ordered pairs, line graphs.
Units of measure.
- Customary and metric systems.
Geometry and volume
- Polygons, Triangle, and
- Volume of rectangular prism
Microsoft Power Point
- Introduction of the program
- Insert textbox, image, shape and clip arts
- Insert video clips, mp3 and charts
- Add transitions and animations
- Design the layout
- Add and remove hyperlink
- Save the file
- Create a power point presentation
- Present the output
- Introduce Prezi Presentation
- Introduce oneself
- Learn noun and common noun (Pangngalan and Pambalana)
Getting to Know Early Filipinos
- Describe the life of early Filipinos and explain the form of government that they had before.
Before the Conquest
- Understand Muslim people and their religion.
- Interpret the story of the ten Bornean Datus (Maragtas Epic Story)
- Explain the relationship of early Filipinos to the Chinese traders before the conquest.
- Execute different Filipino traditional games based on the mechanics of the game.